My beautiful dog dropped dead from GNC Calming tablets

Gave my dog 3 wafers (she was 83#) of GNC calming tablets.In an hour she dropped dead on the floor.

She had been running and playing in the yard before that. She had hypothyroidism most of her life and was well treated with Soloxine tablets. I called GNC Safety and Customer Service and they told me "They don't test their products against any medications for adverse reactions or underlying conditions such as hypothyroidism. Why then is there no CAUTION or WARNING label on this product at least telling customers that they don't test so they can call their vets.

Natural?I would re-label "Dog-Killing Tablets." If their attitude was at all sympathetic (they won't even refund my money), I could at least have a shot at healing instead of crying.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 4 Yes 4 14 No 14
Had the same issue 22 Yes 22
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Sep 25 #1218180 Silver Spring, Maryland

I'm reading this post and no where does it say she called her vet first. It states that she feels GNC should have stayed that they do not test these against meds for interaction so that people can call their vets. I'm sorry for her loss, but just like with human over the counter products if you are on prescription meds you should always call your doctor (vet) before taking them.

Aug 18 #1200638 Pahrump, Nevada

How can people be so cruel to this person??? They clearly said they consulted their vet first and the vet said it was fine. Shame on you terrible people saying they killed their dog. Clearly you can't read!
I am so sorry for your loss!!
May your baby rest peacefully in doggy heaven.

May 30, 2015 #989768

I am so sorry for your loss and for the rude and hateful comments I see people have posted on here. It is a shame that there are no standards of testing for things that involve our pets. There are so many things that are made for animals that are really very dangerous. I learned the hard way to never give anything by Hartz to a dog. It cost me over $1,000 in vet bills.

5 1 Reply

Feb 18 #1113885

These people lost their baby!! Yes, their baby. They're entitled to have their pet as their baby!!- Gnc could have atleast showed this family some love for their loss..I'm sick of non-animal lovers, not caring for people "whom do" love their animals. I have 3, four legged babies! And believe me, If mine drops dead behind something, & I can find out about it, I'll probably end up in jail!! :-) Listen, God said "there will always be poor in OUR land". And HE commands us to take care of the poor in OUR land. This TOO means HIS other creatures, CREATIONS that HE made. The animals are our brethren, please take care of them. I'm sooo sorry my sister for your loss dear. Just know that God will hold the person responsible for doing this to your baby. Keep your eyes on God.

2 1 Reply

Feb 01, 2015 #939330

Wow... you people are heartless. They lost their dog to a product designed for dogs, following the directions on how to administer by the company. This is a trusted and reputable company. They used a reputable company's product. They were trying to HELP their pet using a product designed to do so and marketed as safe and natural! They lost their dog. It's dead and they are heartbroken.
Cut them some slack and try really hard to imagine you are human after all. Shame on you all and shame on GNC for not speaking up on this subject....If they haven't tested this product fully, the consumer should be warned.

12 1 Reply

Dec 07, 2014 #912578

came in to post I am glad your dog is dead as the dog is in a better place. Sounds like the owner is a complete 'tard. should be in jail for murdering your dog you POS.

3 24 Reply

Dec 29, 2013 #765451 Overland Park, Kansas

Im sorry but this one is on you. A pet owner should NEVER treat their animal with any type of medication especially over the counter stuff without first consulting the animals vet. But either way im very sorry for your loss.

8 8 Reply

Dec 29, 2013 #765453

My vet said they were fine. Sorry you don't get to just be a mean ***

5 5 Reply

Dec 03, 2013 #752105 Puposky, Minnesota

GNC stands for Good Night Cur!
Tcnayne, it's only fair that you take the rest of the bottle and "relax."

0 9 Reply

Dec 03, 2013 #752129

Ha Ha Ha! Go join the dog! Lawdy, I hope this person is not breeding.

0 9 Reply

Dec 03, 2013 #752084

OMG, you're one of those! You're actually blaming the lack of warning label on something for your stupidity and your error of not asking the Vet first! YOU GAVE YOUR DOG SOMETHING TO INGEST AND YOU HAD NO CLUE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN. Welp, you surrre know now, dontcha?! Wow, people are dumb

3 11 Reply

Dec 03, 2013 #752078

Duh! Just because something is 'natural' does not mean it is okay to give your dog 3. You Killed your dog!

4 10 Reply

11-50 lbs.................2 wafers
51-100 lbs................3 wafers
Over 100 lbs.............4 wafers

Dec 03, 2013 #752069 Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Actually - I was going to say....the pills actually work..very calming indeed. Is it possible you mis-dosed doggy? Don't confuse Animal and Human safety standards....

5 3 Reply

Dec 03, 2013 #752127

hm, that 'absolute no chance of misdose' killed your dog. Because it would have been dosed different or not at all had you been responsible and taken your beautiful do to the Vet. Good thing you were not dog-sitting someone else's pet - you would be sued, and rightfully so!

1 9 Reply

Jun 04 #1168857

Some people are allergic to penicillin. You Don't know.
But you should've gave your dog a small dose to test first.
Sorry for your loss of your baby

1 0 Reply

Dec 03, 2013 #752057

I hate it when that happens.

1 1 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.